Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tuesday morning

‎Wow the rain. We started walking at 7:00 am in the pouring rain. When we left town we headed down an old Roman road. It was 17 km long and perfectly straight. From time to time there were some trees but for the most part it was open prairies. It was about 15C and there was a very strong wind hitting us side on. The heavily rain was blowing sideways. It was so strong at times that my poles would blow to the right on their swing forward.  This continued until 1:00 when we checked in. The picture is me when we stop at 11:00 for a snack. I went to the washroom and poured the water out of my boots. My biggest fear was that I would get blisters from walking six hours in wet feet. Rose to the rescue: Last summer she thought it would be a good idea to get hiking socks so we did. WigWam from the Trail Shop. $30 a pair. Today they proved they were worth every cent as I remain blister free (touch wood). 

The Roman road amazed me. Hard to believe it has been there for 2000 year. As I walked in total silent I could imagine the legions of soldiers that must have walked the same road. I was 99.99% confident I would have a warm dry bed to crawl into tonight. They would have had to bunk down in the wet. I wonder how many unmarked graves we passed today. 

Morgan is a trooper. She convinced herself at 7:00 that it would rain all day so she didn't waste time wondering if it would clear. 

Don MacKenzie
Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment